Wednesday 31 March 2010

Like Being Stabbed In The Lungs, But Damn Is It Good




It took me a while to get around to watching and reviewing Precious: Based on the novel 'Push' by Sapphire, as I was wary of the risk that my flatmates may walk into my room to find only an Alex shaped hole in the window. i heard it was depressing as hell and I have to be in the right frame of mind to watch that kind of film otherwise it just kind of ruins my day. So I started watching with caution and removed all sharp objects out of arms reach.

Precious, follows the story of Precious, go figure; a young black girl living in Harlem in the late 80s. Her life is all types of bad, living at home with an abusive mother who treats her like shite, she is pregnant with her second child, fathered by her own father, who raped her, i know, sunny isn't it. She isn't the smartest girl in the world and is getting kicked out of school for being up the duff again, so she enrolls in an 'alternative' schooling program, to help her read and write. We follow her story as she tries to escape her mothers umbrella of crap and make more of herself, tries to become a better mother, and as she tries to convince herself she isn't the stupid lump of dough her mother always told her she was; its a true underdog story, and it is gully as a motherfucker.

Precious is played brilliantly by The Notorious B.I.G in his first feature film role, not much make up was needed, just a wig and a hairband, and his transformation was complete. For a first timer in front of the camera he delivers a powerful performance as the prota- Whats that? Its not Biggie? oh yeah he died, shit. Apparently Precious was actually played by a newcomer called Gabourey Sidibe, who knew, but thats beside the point, whoever played Precious, they were excellent, I can only imagine that they had some kind of personal experience on par with some of the material in the script, as the performance is so raw and disarming if they didn't channel something then they were possessed by the soul of Laurence Olivier, thats how good they ( I say they as I am convinced Biggie has come back to life and is masquerading as this Gabourey Sidibe person) are in this film
The Best Supporting Actress Oscar went to Mo'Nique, and it was well deserved, as she steals the show playing Precious' total hellfire bitch of a mother, I truly didn't think she could act like this, she is incredible. You literally want to strangle her and repeatedly kick her in the face she is such a horrible bastard, but the acting prowess is undeniable.

Quick Bit o' Triv for the day, in the 2005 film Shodowboxer, Mo'Nique played a character called Precious (yeah i stalk people on imdb, so what of it?!)

There are strong supporting roles played out by Mariah Carey, playing a social worker for welfare, who I have been told was casted the day before filming began, so way to quickly get into it Mariah, you was well good innit. Lenny Kravitz (no i don't know why they cast all these musicians) is good as the male nurse who Precious meets during her stint in hospital when she gives birth. But the one person who has been getting no props for this film is Paula Patton, who plays Precious' new teacher, Miss Rain; and she should get more looks, as she was right up there with Mo'Nique in this one, just absolutely incredible.

Little known director Lee Daniels did a great job here, from directing the actors into these performances, and also his vision of the camerawork, which is constantly creating an atmosphere that is stuffy and claustrophobic, and using quick snap montage to capture the disgusting nature of scenes where Precious is raped by her father, his style is gritty and darker than a Mobb Deep track, and I think its brillo, so I will be looking for more of his stuff in the future. I think black directors apart from Spike Lee (although you know I loves ya Spike) need to get alot more recognition; the Hughes brothers could have managed it if their 'triumphant comeback' wasn't headed by the disappointing Book Of Eli, which not even Denzel Washington could save; John Singleton hasn't made anything I liked in ages, so I think Mr Daniels here could be the right stuff.

I will recommend you all see this film, even though it isn't exactly a walk in the park, in fact, if anything it leaves you feeling like Mike Tyson just decided to play speedball with your stomach, but still, it can't be missed. I just love this whole gully film style, that doesn't need those huge budgets to make a film of true substance. An achievement that I think should be applauded.

Till next time
Peace

1 comment:

  1. I am impressed, you have convinced me to watch this. I downloaded it a few weeks ago but wasnt sure whether to get involved. However, will ensure wine and chocolate are on hanf throughout to counteract the depressive nature of the film!

    ReplyDelete