Tuesday 27 April 2010

I Love You Too Man



I should apologize again for the massive break in between posts, the folks across the road refuse to fix the internet I was so handily stealing from them. I have had a temptation to write them a note, something along the lines of "Fix your internet, your ruining my life!!!" but that may be a bit too ballsy. Anyways, it has led me to invest time in other things that are more important, like finishing my dissertation, actually going outside and enjoying the sunshine, talking to people etc etc, so I shouldn't complain too much. So yeah, here I am, to review another film for you all, and I stewed over which one to write about, as I have watched alot lately; I almost chose a Spike Lee film, as I just finished my dissertation on his works and could have actually written something of worth, but who wants that?! Not you lot. So more fodder it is, and I have chosen I Love You, Man, the one film I think was funnier than The Hangover this year. Booyaaaa!

So the general plot be this, we have our lovable asshat protagonist Peter Klaven (Paul Rudd) who is a 'girlfriend guy', which is a man who totally ignores the age old adage of bros before hos and decides his current lady friend deserves all his time; whats that all about? Do these men exist? Where did they lose their nuts? Anyway, Peter proposes to his girlfriend and she says yes. Yes this woman wanted the marry this man ok yeah thats a very bad photoshop job, but you get the huge rift in hotness. Zooey (the lovely fiancee played by the edible Rashida Jones) realises that her husband-to-be is a massive loser and has no friends and that their wedding will be a bit lopsided if she has like, bare bridesmaids and all her husband has with him at the alter is his Dad and gay brother. Thus Peter vows to get him some friends with the quickness, which proves difficult, as Peter seems to have some mild form of autism, he has social skills on par with a hybrid wasp...on its period. Basically he has no idea how to function in front of his bros; and so we are on our way to 2 hours of hilarity and cringe worthy comedy. The main turning point in the plot comes when Peter meets Sydney Fife (the awesome faced Jason Segel), who seems to be the perfect candidate for the job of soppy bollocks' best man. Then loads of shit happens that is so funny you find yourself picking your brains up off the floor...as the film just blew....your.....MIND!

Oooooo what are the good points? Well lets start with all the lovely cast; we have Paul Rudd, who has great improv skills in front of camera, and provides most of the laughs with his squirmingly uncomfortable social disasters; he has a tendency to just make up gibberish words in the middle of conversations and leaves you with your hands over your face wondering if God would ever make a human being that useless at life. There is obviously Miss Rashida Jones, who wouldn't get kicked out of bed for farting; and then Jason to the Segel, of How I Met Your Mother and Forgetting Sarah Marshall fame. Hes super G, at life, and manages to roll waist deep in super fine honey clunge 24/7 despite being a bit ugly and overweight...a true hero if I ever knew one. Hes also hugely likable, and reminds me of many of my friends at once, which I liked. A great supporting cast including Jon 'am I fat or am I stacked?' Favreau, J.K Simmons and Jaime Presley, all of who provide some good laughs along the way,
The comedy is very reminiscent of the Judd Apatow school of fun, which is to be expected with Rudd and Segel onboard, many of the scenes are obviously improvised, but the one problem I have with this style of directing which Apatow has injected into Hollywood, is that its lazy as fuck. Apatow pretty much sits down and says "yeah just do shit until I think its funny enough to make the final cut"; which makes for great outtakes, yet lacks the perfectionist attitude usually expected in directors, then again what the fuck do I know? I would be the worst director in the world, and Apatow is probably bathing in a swimming pool of burning money right now. Even though I Love You, Man isn't directed by Apatow, it is evident that actors like Rudd and Segel are encouraged to perform the way they would for an Apatow vehicle, as it does have a way of making money.
I preferred the comedy in I Love You, Man to the Hangover, mostly just out of personal preference, but I am sure you will enjoy it just as much as The Hangover regardless if your taste is similar to mine, but obviously yours should be like mine, as my taste in everything is always right, ALWAYS!

So yeah, go watch it, if you havn'e already, and if you have, watch it again damn yous!
SLAPPA DA BASS MAN!

Till next time
Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment