Sunday 18 April 2010

The Hangover...With A Hangover




Off the bat, I have to say sorry, to anyone who bothers reading, for not posting anything in bare time, I have been super duper busy with stupid boring dissertation and other university crap, and then the internet in my London diggs decided to stop working; so I am currently in Staffordshire, where there is internets! YAY! But if you have kept me bookmarked, or do bother to come back and read my shit reviews, then thanking yous for the patience.

Soooooo, on Thursday 15th of April it was my birthday, and as such I spent a large amount of the following two days in what i have come to affectionately know as a "booze coma", which is basically just me rolling around in alcohol until i can barely walk, again...and again....and again....and then some more, because I can, its my birthday fools, try and stop me! So as I travelled to my Dads place for a visit, I was still recovering from the raping I gave my liver the night before, and trying to scrub clean my soul, from the stench that £15 entry strip clubs leave on ones aura. As I come through the door, dad is putting on The Hangover. "Brilliant" I say to myself, "Breasts" i scream internally...perhaps out loud...I was still a bit drunk; but I promptly slumped down onto the living room floor, semi conscious, and began watching The Hangover, again!

Im sure everyone has seen The Hangover, when it came out it was shoved in everyones grill as the best comedy in years and so on so forth, and as such, everyone wanted to go see it, to see what all the hype was about...well I did anyway, I bend very easily to the wills of advertising; I almost bought a Justin Bieber album the other day, just because I saw his poster in Waterloo, and also as I wanted to burn the cd and piss on the ashes...to prove a point. So was it as good as the hype machine had led me to believe?

The Hangover chronicles a bachelor party of 4, consisting of Phil, a school teacher who hates his married life; Stu, the groom-to-be; Doug, a man so whipped by his girlfriend it is hard to tell if he still has his testicles attached to his body, or whether she keeps them in a little box where she can crush them at any time she pleases; and finally we have Alan, the slightly retarded brother-in-law-to be, who nobody really likes, but they have to bring him along out of courtesy. They do what any real men do for a bachelor party, they trek to Las Vegas, a land of strippers and gambling and drugs and just general debauchery; so basically it couldn't be any better tailored to the needs of 4 men out trying to forget their mundane boring lives and to maybe, just maybe, get a bit of strange tail on a weekend out. The story follows this fateful foursome all the way up to their toast on the roof of their hotel, then we flash forward. The boys wake up to a hotel room, trashed, plus a baby, plus a live tiger, plus a chicken, plus brutal hangovers, minus one tooth, and minus one groom. yeah they lost the groom a day before his wedding, good work lads. The rest of the film is Phil, Doug and Alan, running around Las Vegas, trying to piece together their madcap evening and find out where they have left Stu, as a wedding can't really go forward without a groom, and I think we all know what happens to women near wedding time, they become like wild animals, hell bent on perfection. So if you have lost the groom, not only will you have lost a friend, but you may also lose an eye, as it is clawed out by a rabid, snarling bride.

My favourite character was Alan, who is probably everyones favourite. played by comedian Jack Galifianakis (Greekest name ever?) he is totally likable yet cringe worthingly embarrassing at the same time. His "Wolf Pack" speech at the beginning of the film being a particular highlight; although most of his lines, and just his general being, are funny. There are cameos by Heather Graham and Mike Tyson, which is all good fun, but the best thing about The Hangover is the pacing. It all moves by so fast, yet you still feel attached to the plot. Not once did I find myself having to go back in my mind to check for continuity, you are just dragged along at breakneck speed, through the city of sin with these 3 total ass clowns, and every moment is funny, and charming, and at times just plain weird. One point I can make is there could have been more boobies. Yeah I said it, call me immature, but I am a male, and I like boobies. And when I see a film based in Las Vegas, and it is a bachelor party, there should be boobies, boobies waiting for them at their hotel room, boobies on their dinner plates, boobies in their car, boobies constantly in their faces!. If there were boobies in this film imdb would have that rating boosted to a motherfucking 11!!!!

But yeah, it is really good, I would say "go see it" but you probably all already have, so instead, I will say, go see I Love You, Man; which is equally as funny, if not more so, and has Jason Segal in it, and he is a massive legend.

I will probably write another review tomorrow, as I plan on watching Havoc, simply for the fact Anne Hathaway seems to be naked in a majority of the film. Sweet!

Till next time
Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment